adding poolish / biga to recipe

Link to your favourite bread recipes from other sources, point fellow Mellows to cool online How To's or general bread or baking websites.
Naomi

adding poolish / biga to recipe

Postby Naomi » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:40 am

Hi everyone,

I have a recipe for oats, raisins and nut rolls, which we like very much. It's a straight dough, only yeast. Now I wanted to try to prepare it with a poolish in addition to the yeast.

How should I do this?
The recipe is:

140 ml water
145 ml milk
1.5 tsp salt
2.5 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp cinamon
250 g whole wheat flour
175 g bread flour
150 g raisins
50 g oats
50 g nuts

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Naomi

GeraintBakesBread

Re: adding poolish / biga to recipe

Postby GeraintBakesBread » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:32 pm

You could try a poolish of 140g water (1g=1ml water) and 140g bread flour, 2-3pinches of yeast, left overnight. So when you mix your dough, you would leave out the water and only use 35g bread flour. You don't mention how much yeast is in the recipe, but you could probably reduce this by a gram or two, and the fermentation times of the dough should be about the same.

The other thing you could try is an overnight retard of the straight dough after shaping, which I think would have a more notable effect on texture and flavour.

I'll be very interested to hear how your experiments turn out.

Best wishes
Geraint

Naomi

Postby Naomi » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:36 am

Thanks Geraint,
I tried a poolish, using 200g whole wheat flour and 200 g water, plus 1/2 tsp yeast.
It turned out very nice, but I didn't really notice any difference with the regular recipe. Maybe I should try the poolish with bread flour? Although it did get bubbly.
The total yeast is 1.5 tsp.

Paul
Site Admin

Postby Paul » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:22 pm

Going for a poolish, you could use 33% of the flour plus 33% of the liquid plus a pinch of IDY. So in this case, with 250 WW + 175g bread flour (total: 425g x 33% = 140g) you'd use 140g of bread flour - leave the WW for the rest of the recipe as well as the remaining 35g of bread flour. Use 140g of your liquid, which is all of your water (leaving the milk for the main dough). Use just half the yeast in the main dough so .75 tsp of IDY.

Let this poolish do its thing for 12 - 16 hours at about 24ºC (75ºF).

The result should not just be a different taste but a more digestible bread. The enzyme activity that is allowed to occur in this long pre-ferment breaks down the starches and protein in the bread so it's easier for your body to use up. So even if there isn't the tiniest bit of improvement in the taste, it is still something to seriously consider doing as it improves the nutritional value of the bread. Hopefully, there would in fact BE a better taste resulting from the process.
Paul
When you think about it, all galaxies are far, far, away.

Return to “Other recipes and How-To's”