Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Guinness and walnut  (Read 2174 times)

Offline qahtan

• On Board
Guinness and walnut
« on: March 31, 2010, 09:08:04 AM »
 This is one of our favourites, and simple to make.

: I serve this bread with a variety of cheese on a cheese board. At the moment I have Ontario 5 year old cheddar, UK Red Leicester, British Farmhouse, two German cheeses, Cambozola, a Brie with blue, and Montagnola. It does indeed make a lovely sandwich, plain or grilled.

GUINNESS WALNUT BREAD

1 cup Guinness or dark ale, just warm
1/2 cup less 1 tablespoon walnut oil
1 1/2 cups strong white flour
1 1/2 cup strong whole wheat flour, home ground hard wheat kernels
1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons yeast
1 cup toasted loosely chopped walnuts
1/4 cup toasted loosely chopped walnuts

Make a dough in food processor with all but walnuts. You may have to add a little more flour or a splash of water to get right texture. Change blade to plastic one, add 1 cup of walnuts and buzz just enough to blend in nuts. Proof, shape, rise, paint top with a little egg white and water mixed well, sprinkle with 1/4 cup walnuts. Bake  35/40 minutes at 380ยบ.

YIELD: 1 loaf

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
Re: Guinness and walnut
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 12:23:53 PM »
That looks scrumptious!  How was the texture, or crumb?

I will have to investigate 'walnut oil'.  Never heard of it.

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 09:40:27 AM »
qahtan; I owe you many thanks!   :woot:

I added dates to this bread, well, just because I had them, but even so; this is without a doubt the most popular bread I have made this far.

Stellar.  Thank you.

For anyone hesitant to try something with that much walnut oil - don't be!  This is an amazing bread.  Go to Amazon or anywhere you can find it and order some, you will not regret this bake.  On the few occasions where it has lasted more than the one day, it has gotten even better the next day.  And I though nothing went better with coffee than chocolate...

Offline kris

• On Board
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 11:42:14 AM »
Your bread looks beautiful. Are all beers created equal as far as how they bake/react in bread, taste aside?

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 09:07:47 PM »
kris - for my two cents worth, the answer is no.  Near beer, which I used simply because I had it, seems to have more flavor (when used for cooking) than other typical American beers, but at the same time it seems to be a little more bubbly.  Guinness, with the 'widget' in the can would probably be really light and fizzy as well, and would certainly have a much more complexity of flavor.

Some American beers are simply like making love in a canoe.       ...close to water.

I am not a chemist, but my guess is that not all beers are of the same pH, which would make a difference as well.

Having rambled on, I would still tell you to try this bread with whatever you can access for beer - it is really tasty stuff!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 08:35:52 AM by Steve »

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 02:30:29 AM »
Kris, Guinness is a very dark creamy sweet beer, made in a stout or porter style.  Mackesons stout, a similar english beer,  is actually made with lactose, so it gives the bread yeasts more sugars to deal with.  If you can find a microbrewery that makes a beer of this type then that would be the thing to try in an ideal world.   Lots of nice recipes using these dark beers around, Dan Lepard has some great ones on his website.  These fruited yeasted buns are one of my favourites:  

leave the crosses off like I did and enjoy them any time! 
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes