Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Advice re: recipes and make-ahead doughs  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Abby

• Stir it! Scrape it! Mix it! Bake it!
Advice re: recipes and make-ahead doughs
« on: March 29, 2010, 02:57:26 PM »
My sister-in-law is getting married this summer, and my mother-in-law just asked if I would help with cooking (especially bread baking) for the Sunday brunch on the day after the wedding. I am assuming there will be a ton of people, as they have a huge family.

Issue: My in-laws live a two-day drive away from us (and that's where the wedding will be). I'm looking for any way to do a bunch of prep at home over the next couple of months and transport it with us when we travel in July. I know it's possible to bake breads, freeze them, and defrost them, but I never feel like they taste as good after being defrosted.

So I'm looking for ideas on what to make (I'm thinking along the lines of cinnamon buns/rolls, maybe bagels, I'm sure some quick breads/muffins) and how to do the prep ahead of time. Does anyone have experience freezing dough for any of these? Or freezing trays of cinnamon buns before baking? We do have a large deep freeze, so freezer space is not an issue. I freeze pizza dough all of the time and it works really well, but I've never tried freezing anything else. Or ways to successfully freeze already made breakfast breads and defrost them so they still taste fresh? Or any other recipes that keep really well? Or any other ideas for doing most of the prep ahead of time? (I don't mind if there's some work the day before or the morning-of . . . I just want most of it to be taken care of earlier.)

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
Re: Advice re: recipes and make-ahead doughs
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 02:03:12 AM »
Hi Abby,
here's the perfect link for you. You know her from the BBA Challenge, I think. I made the "Brown N Serve Rolls" a couple of times already. I used her basic dinner roll recipe and just followed the brown n serve directions. Basically, you make the dough, shape the rolls and parbake them until the just start to change color. You cool them, put them in plastic bags and can refrigerate them for up to 1 week. When you are ready to serve them you just bake them in the preheated oven for another 10-12 minutes until they are golden brown. As I said, I made these a couple of times and they do store well in the fridge and taste really fresh after you finish baking. She also has a recipe for orange rolls which might be fancier than plain dinner rolls, but I haven't tried that recipe yet.

When you read through the comments, you'll see she also gives advice on how to freeze them which would be even more comfortable for you. I haven't tried that, though.

Also, muffins do freeze really well! I do that all the time. When I want to use them I thaw them out and bake them in the preheated oven for like 4-5 minutes.

Hope this helps.
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food

Offline Anet

• On Board
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 10:59:43 AM »
Abby, this topic is just what I've been wondering about myself these last few weeks. I, too, have a brunch the day after a wedding for the family visitors and need some help. And then, look, "ap269" came to the rescue. Thank you both!
I think I'll experiment on the orange rolls, and maybe cinnamon ones. 

Offline Anet

• On Board
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 04:06:49 PM »
In response to my earlier post, I did try this "brown+serve" way of baking ahead. I am well pleased with how it turned out -- see my post of May 11, 2010 on my blogspot (waitingforgooddough.blogspot.com).
Thanks again Andrea (ap269).

Offline Abby

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
Anet, I will check out your May 11 post right now, but I just had to say that I LOVE your blog title!!!  rofl

Offline Abby

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 05:29:25 PM »
I did it! Eight trays of cinnamon rolls, successfully made ahead of time, transported across the country, and baked fresh the morning of the brunch.

Here's my post: http://mixitbakeit.blogspot.com/2010/07/cinnamon-roll-experiment-final-chapter.html

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 12:07:51 PM »
Brilliant, I read your post just now and tried to leave a comment but got an error message. So let me just say it here instead.

Have you looked into airfreighting these?  I would like some for the weekend  :drool: but seriously well done, dry ice the works WoW  pompom
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 12:23:50 PM »
Agreed.  You have put a lot of thought and work into this, Abby - I am glad that it was such a success!   :bow: