Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: G's Golden raisin bread  (Read 2328 times)

Offline sgratch

• GeraintBakesBread
G's Golden raisin bread
« on: January 19, 2011, 06:43:54 PM »
As someone who's always fed their sourdough culture 1:1:1 (i.e. equal amounts culture,flour,water: keeps things simple!, although for flour I use 2/3rds wholemeal to 1/3rd white), making a 1:5:6 (culture,flour,water) 'levain build' was a bit daunting. I needn't have worried, as the levain was perfectly active by mid-morning when I was ready to bake.

I let the oats soak in water for 10mins then added & mixed the rest of the ingredients except the sultanas (UK=golden raisins?) which I added after 40 mins. I did almost no kneading, just briefly after mixing to make sure the ingredients were fully incorporatedacclimatise & again briefly after adding the sultanas. The dough, which was tacky but not sticky (drier than I'm used to), passed the windowpane test before I added the sultanas.

I gave the dough an air-fold after an hour. An hour later, when I should have been shaping, my partner Tess was dragging me out of the house on account of it being a beautiful day (& I think she was trying to avoid some onerous paperwork!), so I put the dough in the fridge.

2.5 hours later the dough was back out of the fridge, and after another hour to reacclimatise, I scaled it 2x500g & preshaped round; 25mins later I shaped two batards & put them in floured bannetons. Another 1.5 hours and they were ready for baking; after 35 mins, these emerged:

Nice springy crumb, with the creaminess you get from oats & no discernible sourdough flavour (due probably to the small proportion of mature culture used in the build), but lots of sultana taste. Jacqueline's especially looks like it's got a lot more fruit in it: I hope all mine aren't hiding in a corner!

Great with butter & I'm sure even better toasted after a few days. Will also try it with cheese as suggested by Andrea (ap269).

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
Re: G's Golden raisin bread
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 04:38:20 AM »
Another shapely loaf!  pompom

I am definitely going to have to have another bash at this one as mine overproved. I'm glad you notice that these doughs are coming out on the dry side too.

On the subject of golden raisins... I have a feeling they are not identical to sultanas but are another variety again....

see here http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/lifestyle/article-23897672-rise-of-the-golden-raisin.do

and http://www.natoora.co.uk/shop/fruit/dried-fruit/golden-raisins/prod15166.html.

They really are golden...  I didn't go and hunt any down when I baked this bread, but I have seen them in the shops. I've also seen some pale green raisins somewhere too.

What are you baking next?  Can't wait to see :)
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Natashya KitchenPuppies

• Living in the Kitchen with Puppies
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 09:57:32 AM »
Lovely! Looks absolutely delicious.  :yumm:

Offline Lien

• Notitie van Lien (Lien's notes)
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 04:47:19 AM »
10 out of 10! :thumbup:

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 02:26:03 PM »
These are some great looking loaves!!!!
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food

Offline sgratch

• GeraintBakesBread
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
Thanks for all your lovely comments.
Here's a pic with better fruit content, though I think the darker raisins most of you used, rather than the sultanas (dried white grapes) I used mistakenly for 'golden raisins', look a lot more appetising:

Offline sgratch

• GeraintBakesBread
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 07:07:59 PM »
On the subject of golden raisins... I have a feeling they are not identical to sultanas but are another variety again....

Thanks for the links Joanna.

Can't say the fact that they're treated with sulphur dioxide to give that golden colour is very appealing to me though! I'm a bit of an organic/unadulterated foodstuff fiend. (NB/ A lot of dried fruits are treated with SO2 - especially apricots).

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 10:35:55 AM »
I didn't know they were treated - is sulphur dioxide one of the particularly bad additives? I am sure you know more about it than me. So are they just regular raisins then turned gold?  - that's a bit of a swizz  :soWrong:

Edited : I see  :doh:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raisin  and flame treated - what is that about?  Well, I'll just ignore them if I see them - good to know Geraint! Thanks.
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline sgratch

• GeraintBakesBread
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 07:00:26 PM »
I don't know how bad SO2 is - it's in most of the wine I drink! - but if I there are easily available alternatives without any additives, I go for those.