Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Zeb's really boring Country Bread  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
Zeb's really boring Country Bread
« on: November 18, 2010, 11:57:17 AM »

Hi all,

I thought that was the most boring white bread I have ever made.  It looked fine by the time I had fought with the wet and sticky dough which had to be really stretched and folded and fussed and so on to get it to behave itself,  but for the amount of time it takes, it's not going to be made again by me!  nu-uh

Unlike the lovely Rustic bread this one has nothing going for it for me at all.  That long pre-ferment did nothing to add taste and it is just a bland chewy bread that looks like a sourdough and isn't one. 

Here's my blog post
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 02:32:52 AM by Zeb »
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Jacqueline

Re: Zeb's really boring Country Bread
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 04:13:46 PM »
It's a beautiful-looking loaf! But as you say, looks ain't everything- and flavour-wise I've got to agree. I thought the flavour was pretty boring- compared to sourdough-type breads, that is. Still, I know it's the sort of thing my brother would love for a toasted ham and cheese sandwich. It seems odd that all that pre-fermenting doesn't make it taste much different to a three-hour straight dough. Wonder why that is?

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 05:01:06 PM »
The texture is different, and it had lovely delicate cell walls in the crumb, I just wished I had sneaked 5 % of rye flour in there and maybe a little whey to brighten up the taste, but I really do try to follow the recipes as best I can on this project, otherwise I am essentially making a different bread. I really am aware that it is of course impossible to reproduce exactly the bread that Mr Hamelman made, different flours, yeasts,  salts, temperatures, mixing times, prove times, oven temperatures, oven steaming and so on.

In fact it is so impossible that it's best not to be too serious about it - anyway I've revved up the rye starter, the Grapplestein is having a think about whether it is going to revive or not and I'm going for some light rye and some regular sourdough baking in the morning.  :whistle:
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Natashya KitchenPuppies

• Living in the Kitchen with Puppies
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 10:42:54 AM »
So sorry you didn't like this one. The end result looks really good though.

Offline Lien

• Notitie van Lien (Lien's notes)
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 02:40:34 AM »
So glad there are breads for all of our likings. You're dough looks much wetter than mine did, but the endresult... I'd love it  lol

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 03:08:11 AM »
With hindsight, and having eaten all the loaf, mostly as morning toast, it strikes me that maybe I am being a bit hard on this bread,  it did keep incredibly well, which must be something to do with the long ferment, and it did make good toast and maybe all it needs is a little something extra,some wholegrain flour or  some yoghurt or even a little barley malt to give it some extra flavour, all ingredients I often add to bread when I make my regular sorts of sourdough 
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes