Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Translations by Chrome  (Read 1379 times)

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
Translations by Chrome
« on: August 17, 2010, 06:47:29 AM »
If you know of me at all, you will know that I am hardly a corporate shill.

That being said, I love to visit our Mellow Bakers' posts, and they are not always in English.  Google translate is very entertaining - it gets it part right, and makes a horrible but comedic take on the rest.

Try it - go to google translate, go from one language to another, and then back.  It is like the old game of 'Grapevine' where each kids whispers a secret to the one next to them, and by the time it gets back to the original sender it is a different message.

But it lets me visit our German friends, who have some fantastic posts.

So, I recently tried Chrome, google's web browser.  My computers are old and outdated, and I would have to wait, a lot, for screen access.  Chrome is a lot faster, does not seem to freeze up, and in general I am glad I made the switch.

Then today i tried to sign on to K├╝chenlatein (Mein K├╝chentagebuch) at:

http://ostwestwind.twoday.net/

And a little window popped up, and stated what was fairly obvious: "This page is in German.  Would you like to translate it?"   

Coolness!!!

Try it, you will like it!    :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup:

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
Re: Translations by Chrome
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 07:17:25 PM »
I have Chrome on my computer. I just haven't launched it yet. Maybe this is the excuse I need to do so...

:hmm:
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 07:35:46 PM »
OK, I'm now using Chrome. Does this mean you get a cut of the purchase price?

Ooo! Cool! Auto Translation!
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 07:58:56 AM »
Nah.  My nephew Nano (Demeter's progeny) has been trying to get me to use it for some time, and I just needed an excuse as well.  I was surprised that the translate would work any better since it is probably all Google, but it seems a lot better to me.  There are a number of things bad, as well, so don't go deleting your other browsers just yet - a few sites won't function with Chrome.

But I do like it for reading the European blogs, as there are some dandy writers over there across the pond!     :thumbup:

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 03:01:00 AM »
Soooo funny. Just installed Chrome to see how it would translate this thread into German - I had to laugh really hard at some translations! I don't use google translator often, but to me Chrome doesn't seem to be better than the google translator. Same funny results  rofl
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food