Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: rookiebaker's 80% sourdough rye  (Read 1339 times)

Offline rookiebaker

• On Board
rookiebaker's 80% sourdough rye
« on: July 13, 2010, 07:03:14 PM »
So i made this over the weekend. It was a wet dough but in a firm way, if you know what i mean. I was tempted to put it into a tin but thought i would try to keep to instructions as much as possible. As you can see, it made for a flattish loaf - but that is probably also bcos i didnt use a banneton or something to that effect.

The surface was dry and cracked in spots but the crumb was ok. I would really recommend keeping it overnight. The moisture and taste certainly improved.

Overall, i like this bread. I've made other rye loaves before that used anything from coffee, onion and even chocolate (!) for colour and taste, but these were sometimes too sharp and 'separate' from the bread. This loaf derives its moistness and flavour from the grains and the process and nothing else, and the taste is natural and subtle. The bulk fermentation and proofing times are also short so good when you are in a hurry!

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
Re: rookiebaker's 80% sourdough rye
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 11:02:44 AM »
Lovely bread Rookiebaker!   pompom
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Anne Marie

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 07:29:29 AM »
I actually love the taste of onion in bread and if I redo this bread, I will add some.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 12:27:42 AM »
Nice bread, Rookie! Hmmm... soon enough you will no longer suit your nickname! :snicker:

I actually love the taste of onion in bread and if I redo this bread, I will add some.

Haven't done this myself (yet) but hear it's an awesome way to add onion flavour:
Use dehydrated onions, soak in some of the bread's total water until softened. Drain, saving the water. Add this oniony water to the bread then at the appropriate point, add the onions themselves. I've seen this recommended for rye bread and bagels.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 02:09:35 AM »
Hijacking Rookie's thread here : maybe we need a new one? Onion flavour in bread - there is a totally brilliant bread made with fresh onions simmered in milk and bay leaf, then drained, the milk used as the liquid for the bread and the onions included in the dough - completely different taste from caramelised onion sort of bread - more like bread made with a milk sauce, soft moist bouncy, great colour to crust. Made with a white starter and a little yeast.... I'll upload a pic to the library.....

(It's in my top 10 all time favourite bread list, which I haven't written yet rofl )
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline rookiebaker

• On Board
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 03:47:37 AM »
oohh... this sounds nice. milky and oniony, you got me there! OH i know, this is the Dan Lepard one right? Must try it soon then :)

wont be joining you guys in baking this weekend, the family aka guinea pigs are not around to help eat the bread

Offline Anne Marie

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 06:19:50 AM »
Hijacking Rookie's thread here : maybe we need a new one? Onion flavour in bread - there is a totally brilliant bread made with fresh onions simmered in milk and bay leaf, then drained, the milk used as the liquid for the bread and the onions included in the dough - completely different taste from caramelised onion sort of bread - more like bread made with a milk sauce, soft moist bouncy, great colour to crust. Made with a white starter and a little yeast.... I'll upload a pic to the library.....

(It's in my top 10 all time favourite bread list, which I haven't written yet rofl )

Sounds absolutely delicious.

Offline breadexperience

• I love to bake and eat bread!
    • The Bread Experience
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 02:39:49 PM »
I know what you mean by wet dough in a firm way.  That's the way my dough was.  It was wet but I was able to shape it with wet hands with no problems. It's still baking.  Not much oven spring.  We'll have to see how it tastes tomorrow after it's had a chance to rest.