Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where to store the dough in bulk fermentation  (Read 2356 times)

Offline lello

Where to store the dough in bulk fermentation
« on: June 15, 2010, 05:24:10 AM »
Hi guys,
what are you actually using for storing the dough when in bulk fermentation? I ask this since when I prepare about two kilos of dough then I need a big container, and I couldn't find any "for food". I just went to the IKEA and bought a polypropylene box (for about 5 euros, and used for storing clothes).
I am quite happy about it, but I don't really know if it is good for storing food. Transparent polypropylene should be good (as far as I know), but I was wondering if someone out there has a better solution.

Lello

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
Re: Where to store the dough in bulk fermentation
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 06:33:44 AM »
I went to the local grocery store and picked up a set of storage/mixing bowls with lids: They came in a set of three for under $10 CND, this is the medium sized which I used most often. There's about 1500g of dough in the photo below so it could easily take 2kg but I'd probably switch to the next size just to make sure nothing escaped once it proofed. They're made for food so no issues with "food safe" here. They also have somewhat straight sides so it's easy to gauge when a dough is roughly "doubled". The green tape is there to show the starting level.

They also sold similar sized Rubbermaid bowls but for about $10 for each bowl, too dang pricey for my liking. I generally avoid Rubbermaid on principle, they're way too expensive for no real good reason.

For convenience, I weighed the empty bowl, both with and without the lid, and wrote these weights on the bottom of the bowl in permanent marker so I could easily put the bowl with dough on the scale, subtract the bowl's weight and know how much my dough weighs. Part of my baking equipment includes a big button cheapo $3 calculator to make this easier; it's also handy to figure out grams from ounces (oz x 28.35 = grams).

I also bought a set (two square and three rectangular) smaller storage bowls that I also use for proofing. Same deal: weights are written on the bottom. About $9 for that set. These are handy for smaller pre-ferments.

I do use the big clear bins to cover larger or shaped loaves on the counter. When not on active baking duty, the bin is used to hold all my baking nick-nacks (spoons, cups, silpats, scrap parchment, shower caps, bags, scrapers, slasher, scale, etc.). Note the empty weights written on the side.

Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline lello

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 08:54:33 AM »
Thanks for the information. I am goind to post some picture as soon as I go home. I am using this IKEA box with a lid also because then I can easily oil it and fold the dough inside the box, without the need to take if out.

Offline Lien

• Notitie van Lien (Lien's notes)
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 01:30:15 PM »
I use a large bowl (I think it's Ikea too from a long time ago, but any willl do) and cover it with a plastic showercap. I have several shower caps hanging around in my kitchen. easy to clean (if neccesary at all) and stays put.

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 04:46:54 AM »
@Lien: what a cool idea to use shower caps. I don't have any, but will get some soon for all my bread related adventures!!!!!
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 03:36:18 AM »
From my mobile phone so apologies for quality of photo. Zeb the baker models his baking equipment last year....
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Abby

• Stir it! Scrape it! Mix it! Bake it!
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 07:14:31 AM »
 :laugh: Great picture, Jo!