Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Not Y, but How do you get that spiffy Y icon?  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
Not Y, but How do you get that spiffy Y icon?
« on: June 11, 2010, 01:29:06 PM »
Paul -

If it is not too cheesy for me to come out and beg; how did you get the "Y" at the start of your Yumarama blog? 

For example, if I look at a list of bloggers, I will see mostly the Google Blogger Logo, but you, our Fearless and Supreme Leader, you have your own super cool 'Y' formation. 

Is it tough to do?   :hmm:

Thanks,

Steve, aka 'burntloafer' 

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
Re: Not Y, but How do you get that spiffy Y icon?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 05:25:09 PM »
Steve, I have no idea how Paul gets his Y, is he on wordpress.com?  On wordpress there is an option in general settings to upload a blog picture or icon instead of the standard wordpress W. Maybe there is a setting somewhere on your blog admin pages?
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Oggi

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 10:15:22 AM »
I'm not too sure but I'll take a guess. If you own your domain name, an image or logo automatically appears depending on the owner's setting.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
Hey Steve,

The "Y" on Yumarama.com and the little loaf logo on this site are called "FavIcons". If you Google that, you'll get links to website3s where you can upload a graphic of your own and they produce a favicon.ico file of it, instantly and free. You then upload that file to your site's main directory and it should show up automatically.

The final product is a small, 16 X 16 pixel somewhat coarse version of your original graphic so make that original you upload (even if it's a smaller version of your normal one) as clean looking as possible as small as possible. It will be resized to the right size. And the final product is a square graphic so don't try to use something decidedly vertical or horizontal or it will get squished down too small to see properly.

People who have visited your site before the icon was uploaded may need to refresh their browser to pick it up else they may (or may not, depends more on their browser than anything else) just see the generic default icon in the URL bar and their Favourites/Bookmarks folders.

I do not know if this would work on Wordpress.com although it has nothing to do with whether a site is a blog or anything else. But if you have a Blogger or Wordpress.com blog site or some such hosted domain, they may not let you do this. You'll just have to give it a shot or check their FAQs.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 03:49:19 PM »
Thank you.

Oggi

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 08:50:48 AM »
Paul, thank you for the favicon info. I already have my "cookingmama" icon in place but I'm also looking for other more colorful ones to perhaps replace it later, maybe a pink stand mixer or a red pot. It took me ages to do because of lack of stand-out photos and also I'm not tech savvy. :-[

And thanks Steve for starting this thread. :)