Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Beer Bread Overview  (Read 3940 times)

Offline paojava

• On Board
    • Big Momma and Me
Re: Beer Bread Overview
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 12:37:08 PM »
Can I use regular quaker-brand medium barley?  From what I gather...I can sprout it, by putting the 1.6 oz barley in a couple cups of water and let it sit for approx 3 days.  Drain it, put it on a sheet pan, and dry/roast it in the oven, then grind it in my mill?

I was so excited I went to the store before I got the book in the mail today.  The only barley I found was the type found in the rice/pasta aisle...like you use in soup.  It is pearled barley.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://bigmommaandme.blogspot.com/
Lexi Green, mom to ONE crazy 7 year old boy

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 02:18:17 PM »
Pearled (or pearl) barley won't do, the 'pearling' process has removed the husk (which is good) but also the endosperm and the germ which is where the sprout would grow from. So you can soak it and it will soften but won't sprout as it has nothing to sprout from any more.

Some hulled barley might work as that process (is supposed to) only remove the husk and leave the endosperm & germ on the seed.

My local brewer store had malted barley but only "cracked" with the hull still on. I don't have any idea how to separate the hulls - mostly attached though some loose - from the remaining seed. In beer making, you dump the lot into a vat and eventually pull it all back out, hull and all, so they don't care if there's hull included.

So I'm a bit stumped on locating malted barley, barley I can sprout (sans husks) or malted barley powder.

Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Oggi

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 03:19:28 PM »
So I'm a bit stumped on locating malted barley, barley I can sprout (sans husks) or malted barley powder.

If you have Korean grocery stores where you live that's where you will find the malted flour. It is pure ground malted barley without any wheat or other grains in it.

Offline breadexperience

• I love to bake and eat bread!
    • The Bread Experience
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 07:26:28 PM »
This is going to be a fun one!  My boyfriend just made some beer.  I hope it'll be ready in time.

Offline lello

Roasted barley in Germany
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 05:59:47 AM »
Hello,
anyone knows where I can buy Roasted Barley in Germany (actually in Munich). I am italian but I here for work, and I don't even know the German work for "roasted barley".

Thanks.

Oggi

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 07:50:22 AM »
I tried to sprout a tablespoon of pearl barley and found out they are not germinable. I went to the Korean grocery store and bought a package of peeled barley. These peeled whole grains still have the germ and they sprouted in 3 days. I don't know why I had to do this exercise when I already have malted barley flour. Just curious, I guess.  :)

BTW, I'm letting the sprouts grow for salad or stir fry.

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 01:35:56 PM »
On another forum where I post I was asking about where to get viable barley in the UK. Someone there  helpfully said that it is of course possible to sprout other grains, i.e.wheat, rye and spelt and process it in the same way to get a similar malted product and not to get to hung up on finding the barley grains. So that's worth considering if you, like me have difficulty getting hold of barley that will sprout.   :)
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline yemu

• On Board
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 03:29:10 AM »
i haven't tried that recipe yet, but I've been using spent grain from beermaking as addition to breads for a long time. There's always a couple of kilograms left after I made beer, and I freeze some of it for later use.
Fortunately, because I also brew beer I have a lot of barley malt at hand (and beer also ;-). So Beer Bread will be the first one to try at Mellow Bakers.
regards
y

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 09:41:09 AM »
As strange as this will seem, especially to our German friends, our sorta- local brewery does not have spent barley. 

I asked for some. 

They will give you all the spent wheat, corn, rice, etc. you want, but they seem to not use much barley any more.

:woot:

Offline yemu

• On Board
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 12:48:33 AM »
I think they just don't have spare spent barley grain. Although it is technically possible to make beer without barley, it almost never happens (even wheat beers have about 50% of barley malt). maybe they sell spent grain to the local farm or do something else with that.