Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It's time I confessed  (Read 1363 times)

Offline qahtan

• On Board
It's time I confessed
« on: May 24, 2010, 11:28:38 AM »
 Although I nave been making bread of various kinds for over 50 years,I have never had much luck
with sourdough,
yes the odd time I have some success, but basically sourdough and I do not what you would
call get on well together....
  I have had friends send me dried starter from all over the world with directions that
"can't go wrong", so if you think I should resign from Mellows, then so be it....
and another thing while I am confessing, I don't understand one bit about
Bakers Percentages, it has been explained and explained,. so I just go my own way for the
 variety of breads I make, I might add that I am a a dip and scoop baker, hardly ever weigh or measure.
 one of my few sourdough baked under a cloche

qahtan

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
Re: It's time I confessed
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 02:27:16 PM »
You had better not resign!  I have learned a lot from you.  Plus, I will never forget my wife's face the first time she tried your Walnut/Guinness bread!  Delicious!

I have had good luck with sourdough, but I use a big starter and I bake it often.  Time moves at a different rate when doing sour dough!  Do not give up; what fun would this be if you were perfect in everything?

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 02:40:45 PM »
Can I confess something too Qahtan? I don't understand how JH does bakers ps either, it's different from the way DL does it in his book and I can't hold two systems in my head.  I hope you are not going to resign   :o

and here for you is a photo I took this morning of some rather basic white loaves, but the tins make me think of  you  :D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 07:39:05 AM by Zeb »
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline qahtan

• On Board
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 11:55:04 AM »
 I am glad I am not the only one that doesn't understand BP.. seems so complicated to me, but some say it is easy. huh.
 Your breads look good.....

qahtan

Offline Natashya KitchenPuppies

• Living in the Kitchen with Puppies
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 05:47:17 AM »
Every baker has a different style. Some are scientists in the kitchen and some are intuitive. Make bread in your fashion. Bread has been made for thousands of years all over the planet. There is no wrong, there is just your own style.
And as far as I know, nobody has ever been arrested for "spiking" their sourdough bread with a wee pinch of instant yeast. Call it hedging your bets.  ;)