Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: mellow and very very tasty bagels  (Read 1711 times)

Offline jefklak

• Nougatbollen dutch cooking blog
mellow and very very tasty bagels
« on: June 10, 2012, 12:58:04 PM »
Read the full story here: http://nougatbollen.blogspot.be/2012/06/hamelmans-bagels.html (google translate available @ bottom right)

I ended up baking them with maple syrup and 1/2 tspn of honey, and they turned out to be great. Everyone was really surprised by the taste and really liked them. The only "downside" may be the chewy-ness, but as the book states that's a part of the bagel, right?

I added the wholewheat bits and pieces I sifted out for the miche, say 20gr, to make them more... healthy? Haha!
Next time I would love to try sourdough bagels.
I've seen the BBA recipe and it's completely different so might try that one too.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
Re: mellow and very very tasty bagels
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 02:40:28 AM »
If you ant to try sourdough bagels, go to SourdoughHome.com which baker Mike Avery runs and get the recipe off there. It makes four 4 oz (113g) bagels but you can multiply it up pretty easily. And they are incredibly tasty - even better than Hamelman's, in my opinion.

And yes, a good bagel HAS "chewiness" and is dense in heft and texture. This sets it apart from the commercial "soft, fluffy" garbage they sell at the supermarket.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.