Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The first hot cross buns of my life  (Read 1353 times)

Offline paulo

• On Board
    • Zine de Pão
The first hot cross buns of my life
« on: April 01, 2012, 02:25:22 PM »
Howdy,

Pictures will come later.

Baked the hotcross buns today and found them to be pretty boring. It's something between a cake and a bread and that's something that doesn't tickle my fancy, unfortunately. Even my girlfriend who quite fancies enriched breads with lots of dried fruits tought they were boring.

The dough was also not fun to work with, it's very stiff and since I prefer handkneading, I had literally a hard time with it. Then the paste turned out a bit on the too liquid side, even with the corrections (0.114kg instead of 1.14kg) and they didn't end up as fine as Wild Yeast Susan's - the cross spread out a little bit too much. That said, I did think the actual paste was delicious - but hey, what's not too like about sugar, butter and lemon zest?

The buns were a bit too compact also, I'm not sure if I should blame it on the difficult handkneading or on the low hydration. I did leave the buns to rise more than 1 hour, aprox 2 hours, hoping for better structure but didn't get it. Found them to be too dry also...

Will give these a try tomorrow again tomorrow at breakfast. Can imagine they're better if you dip then in milk!

Anyway, nice to be done with March challenge. Bring on the real stuff: BREAD!
My bread baking blog (in Portuguese, but google can help you!): Zine de Pão

Offline marilyn

• On Board
    • cook bake learn grow
Re: The first hot cross buns of my life
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 07:28:45 PM »
Hi Paulo,
I also thought the dough was a little dry, but my currants could have been fresher too. the crossing paste worked out well, but I omitted the egg since it was such a small amount. pic's on my blog if you're interested; link on my HCB post.
Cheers!
marilyn

Offline paulo

• On Board
    • Zine de Pão
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 12:04:15 PM »
My bread baking blog (in Portuguese, but google can help you!): Zine de Pão

Offline Jacqueline

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 07:49:42 PM »
They look great! Lovely pics of the raw dough. I've made these twice now and also found them a bit on the dry side, esp the second time. I'm going to try again with a little extra splash of milk. Happy Easter!

Offline jefklak

• Nougatbollen dutch cooking blog
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 12:45:19 PM »
Here here, finally the pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zinedepao/sets/72157629754783411/

Apologies for the late reply, but I would like to add this:
Great pictures paulo! I hope you keep on doing this on the next challenges :-)