Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My first bake  (Read 1047 times)

Offline KnackeredBaking

• On Board
My first bake
« on: March 29, 2012, 10:01:32 AM »
Hello everyone!  My first attempt at hot cross buns was somewhat successful.  I found the starter to be very, very liquid but I placed it on top of the warm oven and it did start to thicken and rise as it's temperature rose.  Everything else went smoothly, but I did make a few changes.  I added dried cranberries instead of currants and I also crossed them with cream cheese icing after baking rather than the traditional crossing paste.  This did taste good, however the buns were too warm during my first attempt at piping and it melted right off!

I will post pictures soon, but I am having technical difficulties right now!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 07:52:38 PM by KnackeredBaking »

Offline paulo

• On Board
    • Zine de Pão
Re: My first bake
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 01:55:05 AM »
Hi there,

They look lovely! The start is very very liquid I believe. It's sort like a poolish. I loved the smell of it. You should have piped the paste before they went in the oven? Or did you want to do it in another way. According to Hammelman's recipe you should pipe the past before the buns go into the oven. Anyway, great work. Wish mine looked as beautiful.

/Paulo
My bread baking blog (in Portuguese, but google can help you!): Zine de Pão

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
Re: My first bake
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 06:05:57 AM »
Nice job, Sandie! And they tasted pretty nice, too!

OK, you're all set to head into April's list. I smell bagels! And there's a light rye that uses sourdough (Lucy is available), both of which you can do in Breads 2.

Glad to see you got the uploading figured out.  pompom
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.