Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Geraint's Olive Levain  (Read 1733 times)

Offline sgratch

• GeraintBakesBread
Geraint's Olive Levain
« on: July 05, 2011, 02:11:50 PM »
I made my Olive Levain at Bethesda Bakin' 5, a gathering of bakers of all ages and experience that took place last weekend in Bethesda, North Wales.

Terry, who has set up a British wood-fired oven forum was able to borrow a mobile pizza oven so we could do some wood-fired baking. While not ideal for bread baking, the oven was able to cope with a few small loads, one of which included my olive levain (back right if you hadn't guessed!).

The oven spring was great, and the crust was pretty good, but the crumb was very disappointing: a bit doughy and not springy at all. The loaf baked for only 28 mins in the wood-fired oven (dome temp measured at 239oc/462F), and - although it registered 90oc/194F internally - it may have been slightly underdone inside. And/or, it may have been to do with the flour we were using, which seemed to give more spring than usual to everything I baked, probably due to the added Vitamin C.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
Re: Geraint's Olive Levain
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
I am both impressed and rather jealous. I've been eyeing a wood oven for a while... just waiting for the right place and time.  The loaf (loaves) looks great, however. How was the weekend baking amid a bunch of fellow breadheads?
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Natashya KitchenPuppies

• Living in the Kitchen with Puppies
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 04:04:41 AM »
Wow, mobile wood fired oven! Very cool. Bread looks great. I am a huge fan of olives - looking forward to this one!  pompom

Offline sgratch

• GeraintBakesBread
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 05:02:51 AM »
How was the weekend baking amid a bunch of fellow breadheads?

Over 20 baking enthusiasts gathered in a room for the weekend with sacks of flour, buckets of starter and shelves full of usual and unusual ingredients, and free to bake whatever they wanted: it was fantastic!

As a newbie, it was all a bit overwhelming at first: with so many ingredients to choose from, it was difficult to know where to begin, so it was a big help having a Mellow Bakers' bread to get me started.

I was too busy baking to take many photos, but there are some up on my flickr page and another flickr page has been set up for photos of the weekend, which I'm sure will be added to over the next few weeks.

My head is still spinning from all the baking and bread-talk that went on!

Offline Melanie

• goldentweety
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 02:01:36 PM »
That's pretty neat that they had a mobile wood-fired oven.   I would have made myself a pizza for lunch, whilst mixing up my other bread doughs.  Wish I could go to a similar weekend.  Sounds like loads of fun.  Great looking loaf!  Sorry the inside was off.  I'm looking forward to this one, still trying to decide what kind of olive to use.  I'm having difficulty finding the Nicoise olives.

Offline Abby

• Stir it! Scrape it! Mix it! Bake it!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 09:13:22 PM »
The bread looks great and the weekend sounds like such a fantastic time!

Offline breadexperience

• I love to bake and eat bread!
    • The Bread Experience
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 03:13:40 PM »
Wow!  What gorgeous loaves!  I'm jealous too, but glad you had such a wonderful opportunity.  I so want a wood-fired oven in my backyard. I'll have to check out that forum.

Offline sgratch

• GeraintBakesBread
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 10:43:17 AM »
I made this again because the crumb last time wasn't quite set, due to being baked in a wood-fired oven that was slightly too hot. It was much better this time, but this is still not my favourite olive bread. I like mine with a bit of rye and olive oil and a little fresh yeast as well as the levain.