Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Help?!?  (Read 2377 times)

Offline Abby

• Stir it! Scrape it! Mix it! Bake it!
Help?!?
« on: March 23, 2010, 08:24:11 PM »
So I'm just finishing my buns, following Hamelman's recipe on page 266 . . . Everyone has been talking about the simple piping paste of flour, oil, and water . . . Am I going crazy? My crossing paste recipe calls for butter, milk, vanilla, sugar, lemon peel, egg, and flour . . . . I'm so confused!! I can't find reference to an oil, water, and flour recipe anywhere in his book . . . . . . Anyone?

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
Re: Help?!?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 08:39:27 PM »
Very top of page 267, followed by simple syrup. Make much less of each, though, try cutting both to 1/3.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Abby

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 09:38:47 PM »
Seriously, at the top of my page 267, it says: "Crossing paste: butter, melted; milk; vanilla; sugar; lemon peel, grated; egg, large, beaten; flour, sifted." I took a picture of the page of my book and tried to upload it, but it said my file is too large.  :(

Nevertheless, I persevered and they just came out of the oven: YUM! Here is my post: http://mixitbakeit.blogspot.com/2010/03/mellow-bakers-hot-cross-buns.html

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 11:00:13 PM »
:hmm: What edition of the book are you looking at?  Mine is a 2004 copy.

And here's the top of 267:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 06:55:23 PM by Paul »
Paul
Yumarama Blog

Offline Abby

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 02:50:52 AM »
That is so odd. Mine is also 2004. From the research I did, there is only one edition. All of the other text on your page looks the same as mine; the simple syrup recipe is the same. But here, I think I figured out how to resize the picture to use it here . . . this is my pg. 267:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 06:36:18 PM by Paul »

Offline difrei

• On Board
    • Di's Kitchen Notebook
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 06:21:09 AM »
Abby--You're definitely not crazy.  My book just came yesterday.  I looked at my copy, and it's the same as yours.  And the instructions for the crossing paste on page 268 definitely call for all those ingredients.  Wacky.  I think our version sounds better than the flour/oil/water version.  :)

--Di
http://diskitchennotebook.blogspot.com

Offline chefityourself

• On Board
    • Chef It Yourself
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 06:28:07 AM »
I got my book yesterday and it has the minimal crossing paste recipe on pg 267.

On a different note..., did anyone half or third this recipe? not sure I'm ready for 144 buns! WTH?!
Cookingly yours, Anamaris
http://chefyourself.wordpress.com/

Offline chefityourself

• On Board
    • Chef It Yourself
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 06:30:37 AM »
OK. Nevermind me. I just noticed there's a 'home' quantity. heh. I may need to READ through this book.
Cookingly yours, Anamaris
http://chefyourself.wordpress.com/

Offline Abby

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 07:16:27 AM »
Thanks, Di, for making me not feel so crazy!! There seems to be only one edition, but I've seen publication dates of Sept 3, 2004, Sept 30, 2004, and Aug, 2004 . . . wonder if that could make any difference? Anyway, yes, I (having a massive sweet tooth) definitely enjoyed the paste with the additions of lemon zest, vanilla, butter, and sugar.  :D

Offline difrei

• On Board
    • Di's Kitchen Notebook
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 09:50:31 AM »
I'm guessing that there have been multiple printings of the book. Even if there's only the one edition, they may have made corrections in subsequent printings.  I know I have several other books that I have handwritten notes in because I have a copy from the first printing and I found out that there were corrections made in later printings.

--Di
http://diskitchennotebook.blogspot.com/

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 03:35:01 PM »
Abby, my copy seems to be like yours. My paste recipe also calls for milk, lemon peel, sugar etc.....
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food

Offline Abby

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 06:57:43 PM »
Well, my dad (who has been in the publishing business for most of his life) said to check the copyright page . . . at the bottom, there are a series of numbers (from 1 to 10) . . . if yours has all ten numbers, then you have the first printing; if yours only has 1 through 9, then you have the second printing (and there may have been some slight changes made), etc. Mine only has 10-9-8, so I guess it was a later printing. Ah, this is fascinating stuff . . . we get to learn all about bread and all about publishing!  ;)

In hot cross buns news, mine were a huge hit with the family and the work lunch bunch today. My three-year-old (who basically hasn't liked any of the BBAC breads; the kid only eats store-bought 100% wheat bread and only one brand) even asked for more!

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 08:26:40 PM »
Looks like mine, with the simpler paste, is a 5th printing.

Did they by any chance cut the total paste quantity back when they switched to the fancier version? Your photo didn't show the home amounts. The paste amounts totalled 16 oz. (8 + 2.4 + 5.6 oz).

I'm gonna go edit the blog post to note the different recipes.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

Offline difrei

• On Board
    • Di's Kitchen Notebook
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 08:38:24 PM »
Abby--very cool info.  I just spent several minutes looking through my cookbooks to see what numbers were in there.  :)

Paul--Looks like the amounts are the same all the way across, so the "home" column is the same amount as for 144 buns.  I'll have to cut it down some, though the egg will be interesting.  (It calls for 1/2 an egg for the full amount.)

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 02:15:56 AM »
Hi Abby,
thanks for the interesting information. I'll have to check which print I have once I get home. But I guess, it's the same as yours because I have your paste version in my book.
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food