Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ERRATA SHEET for "Bread" by Jeffrey Hamelman  (Read 10240 times)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
ERRATA SHEET for "Bread" by Jeffrey Hamelman
« on: May 09, 2010, 03:35:45 PM »
A few weeks back I contacted King Arthur (the company, not the dude) and asked if they were aware of any Errata sheet for The Book, the nice lady looked up something that had four typos. I asked if there were any others since we had already found a couple of other problems in some of the formulas. She said she would actually ask Jeffrey Hamelman but that I had just missed him on his way to Paris.

So I guess he's back now and has emailed me a copy of his most updated list which I'm including below. Everyone is welcome to nab a copy and make changes in their books and share the list with others.

Mr Hamelman ("Please, call me Jeff") also said that there had been three revisions so far - remember this was back in April, 2009 - and that Wiley was putting out a new version in the next few months with what he hopes are the last corrections.

So here it is, the most official version we are likely to get! It is in Microsoft Word format so if anyone one needs it in something else, let me know and I'll try to convert it.

Note: scanning the list quickly, I see no notes mentioning the changes in the English Hot Cross Buns' paste so I'll have to assume some editorial type changes are not included in this list. So although this would indicate that this isn't THE complete list it's still the most thorough.

We'll need to keep an eye out for further blips.

NOTE: This errata is for the original 1st edition. The NEW edition will need its own errata at some point.

Also, some people are rather annoyed that the book had so many errors and frown on Jeff for this problem. I would like to point out to everyone that the Metric Formulas in the book are what Jeff uses every day in his bakery at King Arthur Flour. The conversion from Metric to US volume and reduction to the Home volume amounts were done by Wiley editors. So if anyone wants to send annoyed vibes out, please direct them at the (likely underpaid) Wiley copy editors.

UPDATE: The linked document is updated to include a revision on the Vermont Sourdough. Please be sure to nab a fresh version if needed.

The layout has also been upgraded to a slightly clearer format.

http://mellowbakers.com/ErrataSheetFeb2011.doc  40 kb

UPDATE #2:  Someone needed a version they can read on a Mac, here's a PDF version that can use Adobe Acrobat or the Preview application, good for Mac or PC. Your PDF reader should be able to search through the text, too.

http://mellowbakers.com/ErrataSheetFeb2011.pdf  153 kb
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 12:03:24 PM by Paul »
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline RobynNZ

• On Board
Re: ERRATA SHEET for "Bread" by Jeffrey Hamelman
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 05:31:59 PM »
Thanks very much for sharing this Paul. I see the 1/2 tsp of IDY has indeed been corrected for the Grissnini to 0.18oz (1 & 3/4tsp)

With kind regards

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 06:01:32 PM »
You're welcome!

As Mr Hamelman noted, this can be shared with anyone so if you (or anyone else reading this) want to send people to this page here's the shortened URL you can give them or post on your sites:

http://bit.ly/BreadErrata

(URL Updated for new directory)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:27:13 AM by Paul »
Paul
Yumarama Blog

Offline Abby

• Stir it! Scrape it! Mix it! Bake it!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 06:56:51 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks it's so awesome that you got an email from Mr Hamelman himself!? So exciting!  :woot: And so exciting to have all of the corrections, too, of course. Thanks for getting this for us, Paul!  :D

Offline desertordessert

• On Board
  • Have a blessed kind of Day!
    • Desert or Dessert
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 08:13:13 PM »
Thank you Paul for getting this update. Great thinking to call the company to get it happening. This is also another reason why I love King Arthur. They are so helpful with everything.

Offline difrei

• On Board
    • Di's Kitchen Notebook
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 09:19:50 PM »
Actually, the changes to the crossing paste are in there.  So it looks like this should cover everything.  Thanks so much for getting us this!

--Di

Offline natalia

• On Board
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 11:33:15 PM »
Thank you very much Paul !!!  Natalia

Offline Lien

• Notitie van Lien (Lien's notes)
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 01:52:16 AM »
Thanks so much Paul!

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 08:12:13 AM »
Thank you Paul and thank you Jeffrey Hamelman!    pompom
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Nat

• On Board
  • From Hong Kong and love bread.
    • Bao/Bread
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 09:14:53 AM »
This is so kind of you, Paul. Thanks so much for the errata sheet! I'm going to let others who have the book know about this! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 03:34:29 PM »
COSMETIC UPDATE:

I've done a little bit of re-formatting so that the changed pages are now in correct numerical order and the titles stand out a bit better. The content is the same as before so you don't need to grab this if you don't want to but it's just a bit easier to read through.

Grab these from the Opening Post.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 01:03:12 PM by Paul »
Paul
Yumarama Blog

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 01:02:41 PM »
The ORIGINAL POST ABOVE now has an UPDATED LINK to the June 2010 revision which includes the latest changes for the Vermont Sourdough with Increased Whole Grain.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 10:40:07 AM »
Phew! Just corrected all the errors in my book... Hope I'm all set now to bake all the breads!
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food

Offline cranbo

• On Board
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 10:36:56 PM »
Thanks for this useful reference, a quick Google Search turned this up.

I thought I found an error in the Bagel recipe, but my math was wrong. :thumbup:

Offline twm3

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 03:59:43 PM »
Paul, et al,

THANK YOU for making the errata available. As a newbie bread mechanic, my second formula out of "Bread" was "Vermont Sourdough with Increased Whole Grain". The weights didn't seem correct. Some Googling brought me to MellowBakers and the errata sheet. While I am not happy that there are six pages of errata, particularly an eighth printing, would have so many errors, I am happy that both Mr. Hamelman and MellowBakers have made the errat available.

Hmm, I wonder how I will spend the 2 1/2 hours of while the dough is in bulk fermentation? Transcribing the errata might be a good way to start. :-)

Thanks again and look forward to exploring the rest of the site.

~Tom